Thursday, March 11, 2010

so the secret is finally out

Last night, Dr. B (the name I will give my boss for the duration of this blog), his wife, their kids and the director of the ER, his wife and their kids had me over for a very nice welcome to town dinner...folks here genuinely are warm and welcoming and dinner was delicious. After a full belly, a couple glasses of wine, and a long get-to-know-ya conversation...the ladies and I have some plans to hit up a Zumba class this weekend at the Y and I got the low-down on the only Nail Spa in town: call ahead...only one person works there!

Today, after 4 days of orientation, I finally sat down with Dr. B and we made the schedule for the next 2 months. And this is when he very guiltily but casually mentions that he and his family are going to be away for 11 days straight in April--as in, I will be the only pediatrician in town going to deliveries and being on-call for 11 days straight. That means ER consults, inpatient rounds, newborns, sick visits, clinic and office...yup, I will be the only show in town. Gulp and sweat beads forming on brow...hmm...something tells me I am going to grow a bunch as a pediatrician in the next couple of months and that my skill set as a doctor is about to dramatically increase. Please Columbia training don't fail me now.

And one more thing about the Mountain Dew Mouth... it turns out, I am a little behind the times. Some of you wrote back to let me know Diane Sawyer from 20/20 was already all over this phenomena last February:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6863173&page=1

Ok, wish me luck all! Tomorrow I head to a school-based health clinic to do sports physicals in the morning and then back to Dr. B's office to see sick visits all afternoon. Finally, some action!

No comments:

Post a Comment