Tuesday, March 16, 2010

1 million stars in the sky

Have to play a little catch up as my blog was "bugged" with a strange virus...now things are back on track and I can get back to blogging appropriately.

So I have to say, the folks I am working for are quite possibly the nicest folks I've met in a very long time and so different yet much the same as my Manhattan acquaintances. While my new friends have no idea what is or who hangs at the coolest new bar in West Village, and nor do they care...they do enjoy good company and great food! So Dr. B and his wife organized a dinner on Friday night at a fantastic restaurant that one of their friends owns and invited several of their professional couple friends to join us for dinner. It was networking...North Country Style. Not only were Dr. B and their friends local celebrities, when we walked in...it was kinda of like Cheers; everyone definitely knew their name. After a delicious meal, I had agreed to meeting some of the ladies for Zumba the next morning at the Y...and had somehow snagged an invite to go to the town's ski resort mountain closing festivities the next night. It included a cook-out in the parking lot of the lodge, fireworks and a torch lighting display that was nothing short of very sweet. There was night skiing and riding and the town's teenagers were ripping jumps, flips, and rails well into the evening. After a cheeseburger hot from the grill and many introductions, my belly was full and I slept very soundly that night as I really appreciated being around people who just simply enjoy hanging out without having to be in the "scene" or constantly networking.

The work week has been nothing short of great. The office is in a white renovated old house (I would imagine it was built in the 1910's) but has super modern exam rooms, rustic appearing though stylish pine hardwood floors and a staff that whipped up chocolate chips cookies today at lunch that made the office smell unbelieable. Dr. B even has a super nifty electronic medical record! And I have loved the pace so far and while some families are very poor and the education level not so high, they are nice for the most part and like most families in pediatrics, the moms just want their kids to be well. More stories to come on this I am sure as the time goes on...but the patients have had some interesting illnesses (for the docs: Common Variable Immunodeficiency) and definitely some interesting social circumstances (yes, I have seen a 3 day old infant born to an Amish Mom who delivered the baby at 2:15 AM on a Saturday and went home by 3pm the same day!!!!!). It's been good and being in a small practice just makes things so much more personable.

Ok, I leave you all with one last thought: When was the last time you looked up at the sky and really checked out the sky? After my workout tonight, I happened to glance up...1 million stars lit up the night. I think I heard my soul sigh in content. I think everyone should take a sabbactical from their life and (re-)learn to appreciate the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment