Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day Zero

Hi all--as my friends and family know, this has been one of the toughest stretches of my life. I finished my residency in June and moved to Greenwich, CT to start my "new life" with the love of my life thus far and well, most of you will know the story there...we'll just gloss over the details and leave it as, I got my heart broken and haven't totally recovered just yet (though its getting easier everyday).

I also started my new job in private practice at a group that turned out to just not be "a good fit"...and for months, I was waking up wondering what I was doing in Greenwich in an over-priced 2 bedroom apartment, running to the city 3, 4, or more nights per week to see friends and have a "normal" life while trying to figure out what to do next. Well, this is the "NEXT" or at least the first step to the next big thing in my life.

So last week, I packed up all of my belonging minus 3 suitcases and a bunch of books and put everything in a 10 by 15 foot storage unit and left for upstate NY...to a little town called, Malone, which is an hour south of Montreal, to work a "locum tenens" job. For those of you that don't know what "locum tenens" means...it basically means contract work.

Yesterday, I drove 7 hours to arrive to my temporary home which is a Super 8 motel. Yes, I am living in a Super 8 for the next week or so while my digs are being vacated by some other doctor that had previously agreed to do this work. So as I rolled into town, I found that all those silly things I had said to many of you about this being a Doc Hollywood meets Private Practice meets Northern Exposure sort of thing ring true. There are maybe 4 or 5 restaurants in town, a super Walmart, and a lot of boarded up buildings on Main Street. There isn't a movie theater, book store, or coffee shop for 40 miles. I am told it will be good for my soul.

Tomorrow...first day at the medical center. Fingers crossed and stay tuned for the adventures of Dr. Brenda in Malone, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment